music in the family




Yesterday I received a package from my younger brother, Mike. The package contained two CDs (details are above): one of his band's (Push Pull) music and the other a promo for his recording studio, Russian Recording. Both CD sleeves are beautiful, the graphics are inventive and sophisticated.

Most in my family are visual artists, but Mike is blessed with the music talent as well. At a very young age (five maybe?) he sat down at a piano and started playing, everyone's jaws hit the ground. When he was seven, or so, I took him to an audition where he played the violin, and I cried through the whole thing. I was so proud of him.

Now Mike runs his own recording studio out of an old warehouse space that he recently renovated. It sounds like he is booked every day, including the weekends. He also writes music, plays the guitar, and sings in his band. Pretty impressive for a twenty-something. Ok, enough bragging.