blue

My last postings have been about color. Which brings me to politics, specifically this election. I know this is supposed to be a blog about table-related things, but then politics comes up at table conversations frequently. It definitely comes up at my mama's table.

"The American Dream"
has been playing an important role in this election. Did I miss something and did the definition of the term change? As far as I am concerned, I am living the American Dream, an immigrant who went to a good university on scholarship, am now successful in my career, own my home, and have my own studio where I make my art. I would not have this kind of life in Russia, where I was born.

Voters keep asking Barack Obama if he believes in the American Dream. I am incredulous of this question. More so as it is posed to an African-American running for president of the US of A. Barack Obama is the living embodiment of the American Dream. Born of an American mother and an immigrant father, he is, partially, a first-generation American, schooled at the best universities this country has to offer, all with the aid of scholarships. It is through his own gargantuan efforts that Senator Obama is a presidential contender, and at such a young age.

As far as I understand it, living the American Dream is being able to achieve your goals through education and hard work. In no other country can one do that. Not in Russia (well, not legally). Barack Obama as the President of the United States would be the American Dream come true.