french guiana


For the next month I will be traveling in French Guiana, a tiny country with the population of 200,000. French Guiana is an overseas department of France, located on the northern coast of South America. It is part of the European Union, and the currency is the Euro. The climate is 80 degrees consistently throughout the year, with the rainy season raising the humidity to 100% during 6-9 months out of the year.

The country is mostly an impassable rain forest, and that is exactly where I will be spending most of my time. More specifically, I will be helping Alec disassemble a walking bridge suspended between two trees at one of the CNRS science stations. Here is a link describing this organization and the two stations I will be visiting, Inselberg and Pararé. Inselberg is armed with a satellite internet connection, and I will try to send updates from there.

Alec has been at the stations since October, and I am pretty fortunate to join him there. Only scientist are allowed. Click here for an entry from Alec's blog describing some of the environment. Being an Earth Monkey under the Chinese Zodiac, this is the perfect place for me.